These are a few of my favorite things!


Welcome to What I'm Watching Wednesday and yes, that is a picture of my Netflix feed, artistic huh?

So I figured for out first What I'm Watching Wednesday post I would do sort of an introduction to all my favorite shows. The reality is, I couldn't choose just one to talk about this week, there's so many!

If there is one thing you should absolutely know about me, it's this. I am a sucker for a good TV show. Does it have angsty teenage drama? Good. Unrealistic plot lines and way to much trauma for one character? Yes, give it to me. Standard good girl/bad boy love story? Now I'm hooked. It's fair to say I'm as basic as they come when it comes to TV. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy more complex and dramatic story lines as well. The Handmaid's Tale had me tied to my TV, eyes wide in shock over what was going to happen next. There was even a time NBC's Hannibal had me coming back every week for more. And yes, I'm not immune to the siren call of Game of Thrones, but at the end of the day, a good old fashioned lighthearted drama or a funny sitcom is what I gravitate to.

I guess I should start with my all time favorite show, the one I could binge watch over and over again and never ever get tired of it. If you know me you already know the answer, if you don't, I'm sure you won't be surprised. Since it first aired in October of 2000, Gilmore Girls has been my go to feel good television show. From it's face paced dialog to it's simple yet relatable story lines, I could never get enough. My favorite season will always be season one with season four coming in a close second. Luke and Lorelai are end game and I ship Rory and Jess, obviously. There's not much more I can say, although perhaps for a future What I'm Watching Wednesday I could give you my review of the Netflix special, A Year In The Life. Gilmore Girls hold a special place in my heart and life, and I thank the Netflix gods everyday that I get to watch it whenever I want.

Moving on to something a little more current, lets talk about Riverdale. Premiering on the CW in May of 2016, Riverdale is a show loosely based on the characters from Archie Comics. I'll be honest, when I first saw the promo's for this show, I was not interested so I didn't watch it as it aired every week on the CW. I came across it one day on Netflix and figured, why not? Boy oh boy was I glad I did. While the first episode drags a bit, by the middle of the second, I was hooked. First, one of the main characters is played by Cole Sprouse. Yes, Cole Sprouse from the Suit Life of Zack and Cody, twin brother of Dylan Sprouse, and let me just say, he's grown up. Dying his hair black for the role of Jughead Jones, I didn't recognize him until about 4 episodes in. As far as the show goes, it has a very neo-noir murder mystery vibe, similar to that of Veronica Mars (another favorite of mine). It has some of the standard teen drama aspects but focus's primarily on the mystery that unfolds throughout the season, which I really enjoy. I have watched the first season, beginning to end, about 4 times over already. Season two doesn't premier until October and I'm totally going through withdrawals!

Now we can't talk favorite TV shows and not mention Grey's Anatomy. This is another show I was late to the game on, watching the first 9 seasons on Netflix. After that I was hooked. If you asked me to narrow down what exactly it is that makes Grey's such a good show for me, I wouldn't be able to. The drama is about as over exaggerated as they come, and the amount of trauma Meredith herself has experienced is simply unbelievable, but I think that's what keeps me hooked. Each character has such an in depth story that you almost become too emotionally attached. I bawled my eyes out when Izzy couldn't get off the floor after Denny's death. When Meredith grabbed the scissors and cut Christina out of her wedding dress I sobbed. When the shooter was loose in the hospital I sat on the edge of my couch, feeling like I was right there in the hospital with them. It's safe to say I'm pretty emotionally invested in this show, as well as the rest of the world. That's why it does so good. It plays to our most basic human emotions, and like a bad relationship, we let it break our hearts over and over again.

I may not be big on reading comic books, but I'm sucker for comic book adaptations, whether it be into film or a TV show, I love it. My current two favorites are Supergirl and Arrow. Supergirl originally aired on CBS for it's first season, but then moved over to CW to become a part of CW's DCEU (DC Comics Extended Universe). This was definitely a smart move as the CW has proven with Arrow, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow that they know how to do comic book shows. Marvel may be killing it in the movie industry, but DC is miles ahead in the TV Series market. Supergirl takes place in the fictional town of National City. Basically, in case you don't know any back story, Supergirl, or Kara Zor-El, is Clark Kent's older cousin. She was sent to earth to take care of him, however her pod got rerouted and by the time she landed, he had already grown up and become Superman. When the show starts, she's just a normal 20 something working as an assistant, and doesn't use her powers. Of course something happens and she forced to and then decides, like her cousin, she will be a superhero. There is definitely a certain amount of cheese and campiness with this show, but in my opinion it's a good thing and doesn't make the show feel to fake. The scenes of Supergirl leaping into the air to stop a missile from landing on earth feel just a real as the scenes of her fetching coffee and dealing with her many complicated interpersonal relationship. In the second season Kara's adopted sister Alex discovers she's a lesbian and enters into a relationship with a detective. In my opinion the story line was done very well, making it seem realistic but not overly stereotypical. I may not be super emotionally attached to this show, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

When it comes to sitcoms, I'm a sucker for the roommate trop. Friends, New Girl, Big Bag Theory and even How I Met Your Mother just to name a few. They all feed my soul in the simplest of ways. Whether it be roommates discovering they love each other, Jess and Nick are end game after all, or falling for the girl across the hall, Penny and Leonard anybody, I just can't get enough. Next season will be New Girls last and I can already feel my heart breaking.

Some honorable mentions I feel deserve a a few words are One Tree Hill, Veronica Mars, Gossip Girl, Law & Order: SVU, and Supernatural. I watch One Tree Hill simply for the Haley and Nathan love story. Veronica Mars is one of the most underrated television shows of all time and I pray to the TV gods nightly they will do another reunion movie. Gossip Girl took a while, but Chuck and Blaire stole my heart. I feel like SVU is a favorite of everyone's and we're all just waiting for Stabler to come back and finally realize he's loved Olivia the whole time. Last but not least, Supernatural. I have a sorta love/hate relationship with this show but Sam and Dean will always be who I call when I need a good supernatural fix.

So there you have it, the briefest list and description of my favorite show I could muster. Honestly I could write about TV shows for day, but the point of a blog to hopefully write something people want to read, so I digress.


----------------

As the fall TV season starts I'll be talking about shows that I'm watching that are airing weekly! I hope you enjoyed this first installment of What I'm Watching Wednesday! Leave a comment below telling me what your favorite show is and what you love about it!

Thanks for reading!
- Fallon xo

Comments

Popular Posts